Instructional Technology and Distance Learning Office
The Instructional Technology and Distance Learning Office (ITO) is an office within Academic and Student Affairs at Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC). The ITO works with faculty, staff, and students in using technology to support LFCC's academic mission. The office heads the online learning initiatives at the college.
Change and technology are linked. The primary mission of the ITO is to provide vision, leadership, and support in the appropriate use of educational technology and media for teaching and learning and in the development and continuation of quality distance education programs.
The ITO works to achieve this mission by:
- Coordinating and providing instructional technology resources, services, and support for faculty and students, in partnership with the College's Technology Services department
- Promoting the use of technology and best practices in enhancing teaching and learning, including the use of distance learning technologies to increase the accessibility of the College's academic programs
- Collaborating with faculty to further their use of technology for teaching and learning
- Working in cooperation with the Deans of Learning to assure quality of distance learning courses and curricula
- Examining emerging technologies that might lead to improvements in teaching and learning
- Providing expertise, including individual assistance, hands-on workshops, computer-based training, and special events, to educate faculty, staff, and students in the use of current and emerging technologies as they relate to teaching and learning
- Cultivating an atmosphere of safe exploration and personal growth for faculty, staff, and students experiencing change in the learning environment due to new and emerging technologies