Associate of Applied Science Degree
The dental hygiene curriculum prepares graduates to enter the profession of dental hygiene. As part of dental hygiene services, dental hygienists may
- Perform oral health care assessments that include reviewing patients' health history, dental charting, oral cancer screening and taking and recording vital signs
- Expose, process and interpret dental X-rays
- Clean teeth and apply cavity-preventive agents such as fluorides and sealants
- Teach patients proper oral hygiene techniques
- Counsel patients about plaque control and developing individualized at-home oral hygiene programs
- Counsel patients on the importance of good nutrition for maintaining optimal oral health
Accredited by the American Dental Association, the Dental Hygiene Program is offered only every two years (on the even numbered years) and provided through a joint venture agreement with Virginia Western Community College, which confers the degree. Students participate in classroom instruction using distance education technology.
In addition to the general admission requirements established for the College, entry into the Dental Hygiene Program requires:
- Graduation from high school (HS) or satisfactory completion of the General Educational Diploma (GED)
- One unit each of high school or college biology and chemistry with a "C" or better.
- Completion of BIO 141-142, Anatomy and Physiology with a grade of "C" or better by the end of the spring semester prior to beginning the program.
- Completion of LFCC placement/diagnostic tests in math. Must demonstrate competency in MTE 1-9.
- A grade of "C" or better is necessary in required high school/college units of math and science. (The applicant's high school or college (if applicable) cumulative grade point average (GPA) must be at least 2.5 and is based on at least 12 credit hours of college credit in a 12-month timeframe. The GPA is determined at the end of fall semester prior to admission. Priority consideration will be given to applicants with a cumulative high school and/or college grade point average of 3.0 or above.
- Post-admission observation in a dental office or clinic.
- Two letters of recommendation using VWCC format.
- Completed Dental Hygiene Program application.
- Take the HOBET test.
All application materials are required to be submitted in a single envelope to Health Technology at VWCC. Admission to the Dental Hygiene Program is on a selective basis. All admission requirements must be completed prior to the selection process. In all cases, the recommendation of the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee is the final determinant for admission to the program.
For more information, contact: