Print this page

Military Spouses

Lord Fairfax Community College recognizes the men and women who support members of the Armed Forces, and goes above and beyond to assist the "heroes at home" in receiving their education.   

As of Aug. 1, 2009, members of the Armed Forces enrolled in the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill can transfer their unused benefits to their spouse and/or children.

How to Transfer Benefits:

  1. To transfer benefits, military members must visit and apply to transfer their benefits.  This site is for military members only.
  2. After the Department of Defense has approved the benefits to be transferred, the military family member who will be receiving the benefits should apply to use the benefits through Veterans Affairs by completing VA Form 22-1990e.
  3. Follow the directions on the "How to Apply" veterans page of LFCC's website.

Military Members Eligible to Transfer Benefits:

  • Those who have at least six years of service on the date of election and agree to serve four additional years of service from the date of election
  • Those who are eligible for retirement during the period Aug. 1, 2009-Aug. 1, 2013

To learn how the details of how benefits will transfer to a military spouse or child, visit the Nature of Transfer section of the Department of Veterans Affairs Transfer of Benefits Page.



LFCC provides a positive, caring and dynamic learning environment that
inspires student success, values diversity and promotes community vitality.