Chapter 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill
Veterans who served after July 1, 1985 but before Sept. 10, 2001 may be eligible for benefits under Chapter 30. Chapter 30 provides up to 36 months of payable benefits for ten years following release from active duty.
Veterans may be eligible for Chapter 30 benefits if they:
- Entered active duty for the first time on or after July 1, 1985
- Participated in the pay reduction program (pay reduced by $100 per month for first 12 months)
- Served honorably for two years
The monthly benefit paid to a veteran is based on the type of training taken, length of service, category, and if the Department of Defense put extra money in the veteran's Montgomery G.I. Bill Fund ("kicker").
- Veterans should fill out VA Form 22-1990 and submit it through VONAPP.
- Once this is completed, the Department of Veterans Affairs should send the veteran a Certificate of Eligibility.
- The veteran should submit a copy of this Certificate of Eligibility to Kelsey Byard, Veteran and International Admissions Specialist, in the Admissions and Records Office (Middletown, 170).