Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)
Students who are serving in the Reserves or National Guard may be eligible for benefits through Chapter 1607. Chapter 1607 is designed to provide assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to war or a national emergency.
Students may be eligible for Chapter 1607 benefits if they:
- Are a Reservist or National Guard member
- Have served on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001, for at least 90 consecutive days
Benefits must be used while actively drilling with the National Guard/Reserve unit. Once the student leaves the National Guard/Reserves, education benefits end.
To apply for benefits:
- Students should fill out VA Form 22-1990 and submit it through VONAPP .
- Include Military Orders, Discharge from Active Duty (DD214), and any Kicker Agreement (if applicable).
- Once this is completed, the Department of Veterans Affairs should send the veteran a Certificate of Eligibility.
- The student should submit a copy of this Certificate of Eligibility to Kelsey Byard, Veteran and International Admissions Specialist, in the Admissions and Records Office (Middletown, 170).