Chapter 1606: Selected Reserve
Students who are a member of the Selected Reserve may be eligible for benefits under Chapter 1606. Chapter 1606 provides up to 36 months of educational benefits. It is available to those students in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard Reserves AND those in the Army or Air National Guards.
Students may be eligible for Chapter 1606 benefits if they:
- Are a Reservist or National Guard member who signed a six-year obligation on or after July 1, 1985
- Completed initial active duty training
- Are in good standing with your drilling Selected Reserve unit
Eligibility usually ends on the day the student leaves the Selected Reserve; however, there are some mitigating circumstances. For more information, visit the official Chapter 1606 site.
To apply for benefits:
- Student should fill out VA Form 22-1990 and submit it through VONAPP . With the VA Form 22-1990 include a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) with a Kicker (if applicable).
- Once this is completed, the Department of Veterans Affairs should send the veteran a Certificate of Eligibility.
- The student should submit a copy of this Certificate of Eligibility to Kelsey Byard, Veteran and International Admissions Specialist, in the Admissions and Records Office (Middletown, 170).