Commencement Ceremony Etiquette
Commencement at Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) is the pinnacle of the academic year. It is a joyful and dignified event that honors the accomplishments of many students.
All participants attending the ceremony are asked to follow the prescribed etiquette:
- Please be on time for all graduation events. Students who arrive after the commencement procession has begun will not be allowed to march.
- Cell phones and related electronic equipment should be turned off to ensure that all guests can hear and enjoy the commencement activities.
- Children should be seated with a responsible adult. All guests are asked to limit their movement during the ceremony, as going in and out of the ceremony is distracting to everyone.
- Commencement begins with the academic procession. The audience is asked to rise as the procession enters and remain standing until the platform party has taken its place and the Invocation has concluded.
- Please remain silent during the awarding of diplomas. Please express your excitement in ways that will not prevent others from hearing the speaker and enjoying the ceremony.
- Commencement closes with the recessional of graduates, faculty, and platform party. Guests are asked to rise and remain at their seats until the graduates have left the gymnasium.