Lewis M. Ewing
Lewis M. Ewing, of Winchester, has served as a senior bank officer and/or director for almost 50 years. Ewing graduated summa cum laude from Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) in 1976 with an associate of applied science degree in business, and he was the first recipient of the Alumnus of the Year award from LFCC in 1989.
Ewing graduated from James Wood High School in 1952 and served in the U.S. Army from 1953 to 1956, including 18 months in Korea. After receiving his degree from LFCC, he received a bachelor's degree in business administration from Upper Iowa University in 1979.
Ewing was employed by Shenandoah Valley National Bank from 1959 to 1983, when he resigned as senior vice president to work for Bank of Clarke County. He worked there from 1983 to 1999 and served as director, president and chief executive officer. Currently, he is vice chair of the board of directors of Bank of Clarke County and Eagle Financial Services Inc.
Ewing is a past board member of the Virginia Bankers Association and the Virginia Bankers Bank and the past president and chair of the board of directors for the Virginia Association of Community Banks. While president of the Bank of Clarke County, Ewing helped the bank to establish a scholarship to benefit Clarke County students who attend LFCC.
Ewing says he believes the College has contributed to the community by providing outstanding educational opportunities to students.
"I can say without any reservation that I would not have been able to achieve what little success I achieved in my adult life without my years at Lord Fairfax Community College," Ewing said.
He has served in various capacities in many organizations, including:
- American Legion - member
- American Red Cross - past treasurer
- Berryville /Clarke County Chamber of Commerce - past president
- Boy Scouts of America - Scoutmaster and Council Executive Board member
- Clarke County Ruritan Club - past vice president
- Dowell J. Howard Vocational School - past chair of Foundation Board
- Grafton School - past vice chair and past treasurer
- Henry and William Evans Home - past board member
- James Wood Athletic Association - past president
- Lord Fairfax Community College Educational Foundation Board - past chair
- Shenandoah University - President's Advisory Council and chair of annual fund drive
- Shenandoah Valley Christian Academy - golf coach
- Shenandoah Valley Council - Korean War Veterans Association - secretary/treasurer
- Veterans of Foreign Wars - member of the Honor Guard
- Wesley United Methodist Church - past treasurer
- Winchester/Frederick County Chamber of Commerce - past board member
- Winchester/Frederick County United Way - past treasurer
- Winchester Kiwanis Club - past president
- Winchester Little League Baseball - coach
Ewing said that his experience at LFCC was somewhat unique, because he was older than many of the students, and he related more to the professors. He took evening classes while working in order to complete his degree.
"My time at LFCC was a great experience, and it was a major impact on my life," Ewing said.